Sunday, November 20, 2011

Most important of jobs

Keli Call:
*Photo by Carol Clawson
The other day Gyp told everyone about the sheepherding at the house. Well, I just want it to be known that it is my job to help with the lessons. For example, yesterday was a big day for lessons. First we put sheep out in one of the big fields to graze, then we divided other sheep into groups in the arena and instinct pen for the beginning dogs to work. Some days, unfortunately, that's where my job ends, but other days I actually get to help start dogs. If a newbie doesn't know what to do, and Shauna can't get them to turn on to the sheep (she's really good but some dogs are stubborn) then I get to go in with them. While I work the sheep, the other dog starts out following me around... it's kind of annoying, but I get to work sheep so it's not a big deal. Anyway, after I show them what to do, the newbie will usually start working on their own. That is why I think I have the most important job.

Hope-ful Thoughts:
*Photo by Carol Clawson
My job is to do whatever no one else can handle. Most often, I work the really ornery ewes with brand new lambs or the new rams that we have. They sure are mean. The other guys get to work these sheep too, but if something needs to get done fast or the bad sheep have to do something they really don't want to, I get to go out. I used to do the lessons, but I trained Keli and now let her do it. I mean, sure it was fun, but now I get to lounge around all day and only work the really challenging sheep.

Thoughts from the Trainees:
*Photo by Eric Larsen
I'm Tess. I am learning how to herd sheep, and... uh... some manners. Not that I was bad before, but I have my mom wrapped around my little paw. I could get away with whatever I wanted. Shauna and Kristin make me listen, which it turns out my mom actually really likes. So, I try to listen to her too... but she's still wrapped around my paw. What was I talking about? Oh yeah, sheep herding. I think I'm gonna be really good! Now that I listen, I'm learning how to drive the sheep. At first I didn't understand why Shauna didn't want me to bring the sheep to her, but now I think it's kinda cool. That's all for now. I'm learning lots and having fun. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment